Your Business Legacy
How is it that some leaders can make a lasting impact? It can’t simply be achieved at the tail end of a person’s tenure at an organization or the very year a leader starts planning to retire; a legacy is created throughout the entire course of a career.
Comprised of decisions and actions, legacy leadership is a continuous process involving all the work done from a person’s first supervisory position through their last day on the job. At every stage in your career, be focused on creating sustainable influence, assuring that your mark will be imprinted on those who remain.
Communication is a key pillar of legacy leadership. To leave behind a team that will continue to foster your vision, consistently communicate it. Have a strong sense of self-awareness and consistently lead by example.
Everything you do as a leader must reinforce the mission, vision and values you’re trying to instill in the team.
To keep yourself consistently focused on legacy leadership, ask these questions:
- Who among the leaders around you is focused on creating a lasting legacy?
- What do these leaders do that you'd like to emulate?
- Does your enterprise have a culture that will allow you to create a lasting legacy?
- Do the leaders, managers and supervisors of the organization deeply believe in your vision?
- What actions do they take to move the company toward that goal?
- Will you retain and advance the people who have bought into your vision?
- Is the vision and mission of the company clearly communicated to every employee – at every level?
- Where do the gaps lie?
- What steps can you take to start bridging those gaps today?
Legacy leadership is about the people who will continue to carry on your vision after you leave the organization. When you stay focused on the future and the people who will carry your vision forward, you can begin to create a solid foundation for a lasting leadership legacy.
To read the entire article, please visit www.entrepreneur.com.